Investigation into death continuing
Investigations are still continuing into the tragic death of Dartmouth man Ben Sewell almost exactly a year after he died in an accident at a Dittisham recycling centre.
The police have now decided that there will be no Crown Prosecution Service action over the 30-year-old’s death and have handed the whole investigation over to the Health and Safety Executive. The HSE – which still has the power to bring criminal proceedings – is aiming to carry out more interviews before presenting a file to the Torbay coroner Ian Arrow.
Ben died on Friday, September 21, at the DB Skips recycling centre at Dittisham where he had worked for two years and where he had been operating a dumper truck.
He lived with his parents Paul and Johanna in Seymour Drive, Dartmouth.
Mrs Sewell said this week: ‘We are concerned about the length of time this has taken but we understand that a lot of people have had to be spoken to in the case and the Heath and Safety Executive have been really good at keeping us informed.
‘We understand that the final report should be going to the coroner in the next few weeks. Then they will try to sort out the inquest as quickly as possible.
‘We knew it was going to be a while but we thought that it might possibly have been done by now.’
An HSE spokesman said: ‘The investigation has been passed on to the HSE by Devon and Cornwall police and inquiries are ongoing.
‘Once these have been completed we will submit a further report to the coroner and make a decision on further action after the inquest. The HSE has been in regular contact with Mr Sewell’s family throughout the investigation.’
An inquest was opened into Ben’s death as long ago as October last year and then adjourned for the joint police and the HSE investigation to continue.
Two separate post mortems were carried out and they determined the cause of death as chest injuries.